Gravel & Shea’s employment law group exclusively represents management in all aspects of the employment relationship. Our employment attorneys are available to answer all types of employment-related questions from our clients; however, we focus our services primarily on:
- general management advice
- assistance with hiring, retention and growth
- training and compliance with state and federal law
- the defense of employment-related claims in front of state and federal agencies and courts
We serve both large and small companies, including those with unionized and union-free workplaces. We can help you take the proactive steps necessary to maintain a productive and satisfied workforce and avoid costly litigation. We understand that emergencies occur in workplaces that require a company to respond quickly, confidently and appropriately. We provide immediate advice and counseling services to our clients to help them implement the best strategies in order for employees to be treated fairly and to avoid disputes.
Services and Capabilities
As a full-service employment group, we can help resolve the myriad of problems facing employers today, including the following:
- Reviewing, updating and drafting employee handbooks, employment agreements and contracts.
- Guidance with the law surrounding 1099/independent contractor and at will employment in Vermont.
- Non-competition, confidentiality, and severance agreements
- Wage-hour issues and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Plant closings and Worker Adjustment Retraining Notification (WARN) Act compliance
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Vermont Parental and Family Leave (VPFL), and related leave issues
- Harassment, discrimination, and retaliation claims
- Americans With Disabilities (ADA) claims and requests for accommodation
- Downsizing and restructuring
- Privacy issues
- Employee drug testing